This morning, groggy and bleary eyed, my entire head humming from the electric toothbrush, I watched the cat
sit in the bathtub and stare up into the faucet- nose right up the spout. Briefly, I thought of turning the handle to see what kind of mayhem would ensue when the water came pouring out. Just briefly.
Then Aschi came over, jumped up on the toilet seat and, with the most delicate act of balance you can imagine, started drinking from the toilet.
That’s pretty gross.
This brings me to the list of top 5 most bizarre things this cat has done:
5) When we first brought her home, she weighed a pound and could sit in my hand. The first night, we left her downstairs and we went upstairs and shut the bedroom door. We got into bed and turned off the light. Then, suddenly, inexplicably, she was in the bed with us. She had traversed up the stairs and squeezed UNDER the shut bedroom door.
4) She’s a big fraidy cat when guests come over. Except when they are allergic or don’t like cats, then she comes out and rolls all around in front of them, or sits to their immediate left and stares at them.
3) On occasion she has burrowed her head in the space between the arm of the chair and the mattress and, upside down, kicked her legs in the air.
2) Aschi had an awkward, clumsy phase before she fully developed her coordination. We were sitting on the futon and she came running at us from across the room. You could see it in her little furry face- her intent to join us on the futon. She took a big leap- flying up, up… until she bounced off the side of the futon.
1) One day we heard quite a bit of rustling coming from the closet. A few moments later Aschi came out carrying a gift wrap bow in her mouth. While we stared, she trotted out of the room. The next day we found the bow lying in middle of the living room. We have never referred to the incident since and she has never brought it up.
She also has a thing for lying on my chest. As soon as I lie down on my back her “chest availability!” radar starts beeping like mad and she comes running over and lies down on my chest and purrs like a lawn mower. Don’t ask me why.
May 30th 2003Uncategorized